Monday, November 23, 2009

Swipe Spot #5


Making the scene at the local grindhouse on Saturday night, I was disgusted to see a bit of plagiarism, usually, worthy only of an Italian. Dancing upon the wall with its sirens call was the one-sheet for The Witch Who Came From the Sea. The image of the scythe wielding witch seems to bear more than coincidental similarity with the cover to Vampirella #11.


Shocked that such could happen here in 1976, I trudged along to see the vixen of the sea in action. My nausea from that outrage in the lobby was not to be abated. Upon viewing the film, it came to me the realization that I had misread the billing. I mistook Rick Jason as "Billy Batt" for special guest star "Billy Barty". Here's to a better '77.




Art in film, Birth of Venus by Botticelli, do you get it? from the sea!

4 comments:

  1. Everything old is new again!
    Or "nothing new under the sun!"
    Actually this may a way of educating the coming of the new.
    Picasso stated a good artist barrows, but a great artist steals!
    Be an Art Theif!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was disgusted to see a bit of plagiarism, usually, worthy only of an Italian."

    Escuse me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. EnV said ""Escuse me?""

    You obviously have no love of Italian cinema, else you would know!

    ReplyDelete