Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fawcett & Hayter

Automatic Drawings


"These are the result of sharing a studio one summer with Stanley Hayter, the British draftsman, printmaker, and painter. It was he who did so much to influence the French painters, including Picasso, into an interest in etching and prints. I became fascinated watching him turn out his free calligraphic drawings in rapid succession, and under his influence I experimented on my own for some time afterwards. Hayter's own drawings were completely abstract in that they were devoid of recognizable subject matter. Due to my own training, enough subject matter did creep in to allow me to title them, although this was hindsight. In drawing like this, one never knows what is going to result."Robert Fawcett




Stanley William Hayter (1901-1988)












No comments:

Post a Comment